View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #142 (permalink)
govman6159
Extreme DIYer

Custom eBike - '89 Bianchi Mainstreet 24vdc motor w/ 24v/30ah LiFePO4 Battery Pack

2006 Prius - '06 Toyota Prius 2
Well, I don't know why I'm only getting that range but it is plenty for me since my commute is only 12 miles. I also have not charged it to 100% SOC (mostly because it takes too long). As far as it being a torque monster, not even. That's why I have all the gears available. For hills, its 1st gear (28 tooth front, 32 rear). I can climb almost any hill and maintain 10mph all the way up in that gear. That's what I love most about this bike, I can still switch gears and use the motor efficiently for what I need. With a 24V/500W motor, you really need that capability (otherwise its just painful to ride). I would really like to upgrade to a 48V/1000W motor but, I've already spent over $500 on the bike and it just becomes a money pit of constant upgrades. I'm already craving an upgrade on my front freewheel bearing to eliminate some of the play in the cheap one I bought. Even a simple upgrade like that costs over $40. It gets expensive quick (and I'm about the cheapest guy you'll ever meet).