View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
bobo333
EcoModding Apprentice

F Truck - '77 Ford F100 2x4, single cab, lwb
90 day: 8.75 mpg (US)

Bombodore - '98 Holden Commodore Exec Wagon
90 day: 21.35 mpg (US)

Civic - '93 Honda Civic GL
90 day: 36.62 mpg (US)

Jim The Prius - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 36.66 mpg (US)
I've never bought a new car and even if i had all the money in the world i don't think i ever will, mainly becasue of the reasons outlined in the first post.

Most new models these days are only slight upgrades from the previous (different bumpers or wheels or different colour dash lights as someone said) so i dont see a point in spending up to nearly twice as much for the same thing.

The second reason for me to buy an old car is that most of the features of new cars i either dont need/wouldnt use and the ones i actually do need/would use can be retrofitted to an older car quite easily, ie. If a new car comes out with fancy new revised suspension for better handling and comfort id much rather get an old car and put aftermarket suspension in to suit my needs/driving style, will most likely handle better than the new car and will still be cheaper after adding in the price of the new suspension.

The final reason i wouldnt buy a new car is they look terrible IMO, go back to the 90s with cars like RX7's, Supra's, Honda NSX, EG civic, Miata/MX5, dodge viper... all look much better IMO than the current equivalents, and due to a lack of silly amounts of computers and airbags and emissions equipment they are much lighter, and more "fun" to drive

(Posted in 2020) 2009 Prius Off Road project: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ide-38366.html

(Posted in 2012) 1977 F100 Project: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post310326
The Following User Says Thank You to bobo333 For This Useful Post:
thomason2wheels (08-15-2012)