View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

Long life maint (500k & up)/low $ maint forums?

Are there any forums specializing in people who want to use their cars, trucks, or internal combustion engines for "extended periods" (try half a million miles and up) or whom are trying to reduce the costs of enhanced maintenance and might know of clever DIY tricks or something not commonly done, because it doesn't matter to the majority of people who are content driving a car 6-8 years then dumping it at 100k?

I figure there must be some kind of "extreme life vehicles" forum somewhere but i'm not sure what search terms to use to find it or where it might be.

Two examples of topics on my head:
- Getting extended life from your oil WITHOUT endangering your engine. I've heard claims of people who do things like remove oil, hyper-filter it, then stick it back into the engine. Or sometimes who do something they claim revitalizes it. By which I mean replace some the additives that may be depleted after the few thousand miles of running. Alternately i've seen reports that two thirds of engine wear is actually acid wear, not from particles in the oil. If you filter the particles, put back in whatever additives are worth having, and do something to counter the acid, could you use oil near indefinately?

- The toilet paper oil filters. Most people may not be familiar but in the 60's or so a company came out with a bypass oil filter (it doesnt replace your oil filter, rather it bypasses and "super filters" a small amount down to sub-micron levels... and people who have done oil analysis seem to show yes they actually work, and no they dont dump toilet paper gunk into your engine either) using a common roll of toilet paper to act as a super-filter. Extremely extended engine life and reduced wear was commonly reported even among people with much longer than normal oil change intervals. (and among some people who DIDNT change oil, just changed the toilet paper, even for 250,000 miles)

Now random web anecdotes is one thing, but a dedicated forum or board or discussion group where people actually research such things a little more scientifically is what i'm looking for. I'm hardcore enough to send in oil for analysis myself and get to the bottom of various claims, being able to trade notes with people who have done the same is what i'm looking for. Such discussions are not specific to any one model of car though and so arent best located on one models forums.