View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
MrSafety
EcoModding Lurker

... a "NewBie" joins in here... !

1/ I just discovered this FORUM...
2/ I just registered...
3/ This is the first THREAD I have read !
4/ This is my first POST !

Although I am a relatively "newbie" to diesels... NOW:

[1] My Wife's "daily driver" is an 1980 MB 240D that I started with ~ 5 years ago.
I have every system but cruise control working!
[2] I put my youngest Son in a 5-Cyl 1980 MB 300D and spent 4 years making it a daily driver.
I had every system working but cruise control...
and was getting ready to have a complete fresh paint job when a bit Mountaineer rearended him and totaled the 300D!
This sturdy car protected both my Son and his Wife from any real injury...
so it did what I expected it to!
I then put this same Son into an '02 TDI Jetta and learned a lot about the TDI injection pump/system making this "salvaged" TDI roadworthy!
[3] My personal project vehicle now is an '81 VW Rabbit P/U that I've done a lot of work on and
now getting ready to swap out the 4-spd manual for a 5-spd manual that I purchased for $100 but
then spent ~$600 having it completely rebuilt and even newer upgraded parts added!

Now onto the subject of this THREAD:
My studies into both the early BOSCH "distributor" style IPs in these A1 Rabbits and my studies into the TDI IPs used by VW...
these studies make me agree with Crazyrabbit's belief that making a simple repair to your A1's IP's timing system can make a great deal of difference in MPGs!

I also think that understanding and similarly changing out another simple and inexpensive (~$30) part on either of these IPs also has the potential for helping your MPGs.
I'm talking about 1 or both of the IP's "case pressure" regulating devices on these IPs.

Let me know IF I need to expand on my "case pressure" subject!

Anyone know about replacing my high-failure diaphragm vacuum pump with the newer style rotary vacuum pump?? I have power brakes that need a more reliable Vac. Pump!
Regards,
Sam Ross

Last edited by MrSafety; 08-17-2012 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: my 1 edit is in PINK !