View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

S10, El Camino, or Caprice best aero w/mods?

Seeking opinions...

Would a Chevy S10 mini pickup (WITH modifications, not talking stock here) or a Chevy El Camino (again WITH modifications, being mostly a mid 80's fullsize sedan front, wider and lower to the ground, lower roofline than the S10) have better potential for a low coefficient of drag x frontal area total? (CdA) I'm exploring towing vehicles capable of pulling 5000lbs, both qualify, both can swap nearly the same engines, so it mostly comes down to aero. A cap on the camino can be any shape you want obviously.

The RWD Caprice is the 4 door sedan made later than al El Caminos, the latest in 1996, that can still tow 5000lbs. It looks slicker than the 80's but no clue if thats looks or actual refinement. Potentially smoother than the Camino pickup but with the right topper not necessarily, so...

I'm aware a trailer wont have much aero normally - it would be a flatbed for things like hauling 4x8 sheet goods or a cord of wood at a time, and the aero is primarily for when it's running without the trailer though not exclusively. (consideration of "merged" designs for certain trailer loads would be looked at later if I can narrow down what things I will commonly be hauling besides general utility stuff)