View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
basjoosing the Toyota T-100 (articulated front wheel skirts)

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/One of the 'works-in-progress' for Bonneville are the articulated front wheel skirts as on AeroCivic.
I'd toyed with the idea of a double-articulation in the mechanism so as to have the skirt always moving parallel to the side of the truck.
Pot holes have forever changed my thinking and I've run for the protective skirt of basjoos' design.It's closer to Clarence Kelly Johnson's dictum of KISS engineering.It's 'better' than what I had in mind.And with time constraints being what they are,I've got a better chance of completion before my departure deadline.
I've completed the mechanical superstructure for the passenger side unit and after 6-test runs have dialed-in the roller location for a best-fit.
I'm cheating,using a Harbor Freight single roller instead of AeroCivic's two per unit.It's not as good,but I'm making due with available hardware.
So far,it does everything okay as far as the kinematics goes.I'll do a round trip to Fort Worth and back this weekend,then reproduce in mirror image for the driver's side.
No luck so far with my two sources for used aluminum.I'll keep checking.
I have a few photos and will see if Al can help get those up.Otherwise,the units are kinda like AeroCivic's.
Thanks to basjoos for the elegant engineering solutions!

Last edited by aerohead; 08-27-2012 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: add images
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (08-19-2012), Sven7 (08-28-2012), Weather Spotter (08-29-2012), wyatt (08-29-2012)