View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
JethroBodine -- Agreed. For me money is more a 'gating factor' than a 'driving force'. There're two more coming that are more achievable.

Sven7 -- It would tour the Rockies, in first gear. It weighs 9000 pounds and has a Chrysler 225" slant six. Later models came with a 455 Olds.

metromizer -- I had to step outside my comfort zone to register in this forum. The last time I registered in a forum was 1999. But I think it's cool you get to be friends with Dick Beith:

The Old Speed Shack: Dick Beith 50th anniversary

I thought a Lakester was necessarily open-wheeled; I'd call it a streamliner. My design was intentionally stock profiled. If I was going to take it that far, I would want a Leatherman chop (Walt Leatherman at Volksrodder.com. I won't link because they are actively hostile to lurkers). And replace the heater channels with 1/4" plate so there's no rocker panel below the door. With the Leatherman chop you remove the top and 'quarter' the body and narrow it to fit the roof. It gives a really nice contour and wouldn't have the 'fastback' problem that laid-back windshield must have.

Assuming a 4 1/2" chop and 2 1/2" narrower, I calculate 3.6 sq. ft. less frontal area.