View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Its a '35 airstream torpedo, plan built airstream that just has a really sweet shape. the original plans have been posted in a few places now, although I'm not sure one would want to build them that way anymore...

(snip)

Kamperbob - yup following the theory, just have to pull out the cheech "we don't need no steeeeenkin" every now and then lol - other than a cooler I can't think of anything I'd want to put up there...
Thanks!

It's interesting that today's Basecamp model looks a LOT like a truncated version of the "original" teardrop. T@B came and went recently (and may rise again) with some noteworthy modernizations. But they got the nose wrong IMHO. Plan curvature was more useful inside with better aero outside. If only they Kammed the back and radiused edges for smooth recombination (instead of Vortex antagonisms) it would've been perfect. Still dang good, best in class, and far ahead of its time.

As for nose storage over the pin with a nose extension think stuff that folding chairs, dutch oven, BBQ grill & fuel, leveling blocks, wheel chocks, jack, tire iron, the spare tire maybe even, camp rake, small shovel, axe, bow saw, etc. It depends how you intend to use the trailer of course.