View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maury Markowitz
EcoModding Lurker

White Whale - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You may simply have illustrated the difference between operating the engine closer to its most efficient point on the BSFC map (slower accel), vs. higher accel. I assume your hybrid (what kind is it?) has a CVT, and it will try its best to adjust gearing during acceleration to stay close to the engine's "sweet spot", which is generally at a relatively low RPM. But when you put your foot in it and demand higher RPM/more power, it will concede, and overall fuel economy will drop.
Ok, I'm going to operate under that assumption, as it makes sense. Although that often means little (ie, it makes sense that eating eggs, which are filled with cholesterol, results in higher blood cholesterol... except that it doesn't actually do that).

Anyone suggest a good book on this in general? I'm also thinking of adapting my wife's 2003 Echo to all-electric, so I'd like to read a lot more on the engineering and energy use side of things.

It's a 2006 Civic Hybrid. Generally very happy with it, and I'm getting 54.3 mpg over the last 3700 miles (I reset at the last oil chance) as of this morning. In the winter that goes down to about 42 mpg, which is also interesting. My only complaint is the low seating arrangement, which doesn't agree with my back so much.