View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
MakitaDiesel
The Practical Modder

Thunder - '85 Honda CRX Si
90 day: 44.84 mpg (US)

Lightning - '89 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 46.25 mpg (US)

The Darkness - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.84 mpg (US)
Video of "Cruise/Buck" & "Fickle Shift Light" (HF/Z1 Issues)

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker for some time & a sporadic poster at gassavers.org so I figure I need to spread my question around to a similar base to hopefully fix my problem & start enjoying my swap...4 years later. Here goes:

The long story is below:
'89 CRX HF + D15Z1 troubleshooting... - GasSavers.org - Helping You Save at the Pump Hypermiling and Fuel Efficiency Forum

The short story:
Issue 1: When decelerating in gear, the car cannot cruise smoothly. The vac gauge needle bounces/flutters slightly while the car "bucks/jerks" as if someone is lightly tapping the throttle & releasing in quick succession.
Issue 2: While accelerating (in 3rd gear mostly) the shift light flickers & acceleration smoothness suffers in direct relation.
Issue 3: In neutral, if I rev the engine, the revs do not come down gradually like every other car on the planet. The revs hang and slowly die off in an erratic (but always descending) manner. Imagine the engine falling down a flight of stairs, versus free falling.

Things to consider:

- I have NO CEL.
- I have thoroughly checked TPS & MAP sensors.
- I have cleaned the IACV port.
- I have ruled out the ECU & throttle body.
- If I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, she runs great for a few dozen miles before the symptoms resume.

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

Next up is vacuum testing the entire EGR/VX Control box system, including hoses.

Any help is appreciated, thanks,
Mak