View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy-Gor View Post
My trucks computer will show instant MPG, though i am not sure how accurate it is. I assume this would be the same as the scangauge?

I dont really feel save driving as slow as 65 up and down I-35. the speed limit is now 70-75 all the time. and in dallas if you are driving under 75 it gets dangerous.

I didnt notice a huge difference from 65-80 as i originally thought. safety and time make me not want to slow down just to save a little bit of fuel.
1. Scanguage can show you things your instant MPG won't and also it does not always match exactly. It allows you to alter how you accelerate, coast and drive and to know how slight differences in your gas pedal position dramatically change your fuel economy.

2. Historically I can't claim I had ever heard anyone mention increased safety and high speeds or speeding as an excuse or justification until about 8 years ago. I find it odd that absolutely no one mentioned increased safety with increased speeds years ago but now I see that one mentioned everywhere, not sure what changed. I doubt safety did on this regard.

3. You need to learn to control your throttling accurately allowing your vehicle to bleed and gain speed using hypermiling techniques. The degree to which you do this and avoid excessive acceleration & coast to stops will determine gains you get.
Just reducing speed will not improve your fuel economy if you also are stomping and braking more. On my Dodge going from 65mph to 80mph steady means going from 16mpg to about 11mpg,
I don't think that is INSIGNIFICANT and I doubt your Suburban is all that much different if you can keep the throttle rock solid steady.

On an aside my Suburban (not much different than yours just OLD) gets low 20's with a fuel leak. Before the fuel leak 23-26mpg was not unusual.
But then again mine is a diesel and 2wd.

Also what is a small amount of fuel? If you get (example) 18mpg @ 65mph and get 15mpg @ 80mph and you stated it would take 8 hours to get there at 55mph.

8x55 = 440miles per day

That is over 3 gallons of fuel saved per day or about $4380 saved per year.
Going from 15mph to 18mpg at least.