View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
In some states, you can get registration for a 'kit car' or 'coach built one-off'. But in the case of a car that was manufactured by a recognized auto builder, but never imported to the States, is not a ' classic' (not 30 years old), I would not take that gamble with my $7500. A good place to check on 'what would it take?' is a classic car consignment showroom in your state. The guys who sell vintage Aston Martins, Ferarris, Colbra and Speedster kit cars and the like (I used to do some side work for a place like that in Pleasonton, CA) . Those guys usually know all the rules, the gray areas, even loopholes if they exist, and are often licensed by the state to do VIN certifications, etc.
Every state is different. In NoOh, classic is 20 years old. I disagree, but my 89 S10 Blazer was offered classic plates lol

And if one can prove that engine was legal emission wise, one should be fine. If I had the cash I would grab it, ask questions later. Worse case scenario, you sell it again and have an adventure. But that is in my view, surely others may disagree.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.