View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
2000neon
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
The flow off that boattail is impressive, of I didnt have to parallel park the car at school that would be a serious consideration.

I was thinking about this more today at work and revised my plan a bit. Instead of hinging a small section of the kammback to open to the trunk. I am now leaning towards making the kamm one solid piece, and allow the whole thing to hinge upward. Doing this allows for much easier building of the structure, and should be easier to make much more solid. I can also then taper the sides in farther, and have the sides of the kamm go overtop of the trunk. That should allow to gain more plan taper, and round off the back of it as much as possible.

Overall, I think that this will be easier to build, be sturdier and function better. I can then use a simple pin system at the back to keep it centered, and keep it down when I don't need in the trunk.

MTrenk, as for this idea, I am thinking if I use some thin (1/8th or 1/4") by about 1.5" aluminum to build the base of it, that will sit on top of the trunklid, and get me the basic shape at the bottom. Then I will be able to build the vertical transverse ribs to get the rest of my shape, and build sufficient support and a hinge at the top of the rear window to allow the whole thing to pivot upwards to get into the trunk.

I should be able to use some adhesive foam or rubber strips to prevent squeaking and help seal the kamm to the car.