View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #34 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
A cheap clean option is an electric bicycle because in a lot of areas you can get away with ridding on bike trails and bike lanes with an electric bike, it's pushing the limits of what is legal but most of the time the police will look the other way unless you are doing something stupid.
I've put many miles on electric bicycles, mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles and never lade one down, when I took a motorcycle safety class (very good idea) they handed out a sheet of accident statistics and most of the time the person who got in an accident was speeding, drunk, not wearing a helmet or otherwise doing something stupid, but the number of accidents that involved someone who was driving reasonably was really low, around 2% of the total accidents involving motorcycles.

I would not want to drive a scooter any long distance or on roads with higher speed limits, but if you live in a small town and want to be able to park on side walks or at bike racks then a scooter can be really practical, but wearing a helmet eve while operating a scooter or moped is a very good idea, my full face motorcycle helmet has a lot of chips from gravel hitting it, lots of bugs on it and it keeps your eyes from drying out so you can see better, I also find that my hearing is improved while wearing a helmet.