View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
ecomodded
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
The EOC (engine off coasting) begins.

The kill switch is in, it was a piece of cake once i took the plunge and cut the first 2 wires leading to the ECU, from the G28 engine speed sensor.
The G28 is the RPM sensor / engine speed sensor, not the vehicle speed sensor.
If the G28 sensor fails the ecu shuts down the motor. If i flip the switch the ecu see's this as a failure and kills the engine.
I would say this method is the absolutely best way to install a kill switch in a VW tdi that i could have hoped for. A BIG thanks to Piwoslaw for discovering this method and telling me about it !

1st- Mount the switch where you can reach it conveniently.
2nd- Near the ECU cut the tape and unravel about 6 inches.
Give the wires some space to ease the reattachment by exposing 5 inches of wires then cutting in the middle to share the length evenly, as instructed below.

Cut into black wire sheath that contains a yellow wire, white wire and black wire. There is two black sheaths the one with a blue wire inside is the wrong sheath.
Once you found the right black wire sheath to cut, cut it along the top to expose the wires inside, cut the black wire , cut the white wire.

3rd- Wirer from the cut to the switch then the switch to the cut in the wire harness.

Strip the wires a 1/2 inch or so and wire together then apply some solder paste to the wire and solder it fairly quickly so you do not melt the wire sheath.
I clean up the solder paste remnants with alcohol and a rag to insure a clean surface for the tape.

4th
Once all 4 wires (2 out 2 in) are soldered & cleaned you can tape the exposed wires, then tape it all to the wiring loom and finally re-wrap the loom with the original tape you cut to gain access and secure it with fresh tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kill switch install '98 tdi Beetle...jpg
Views:	32
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	11365   Click image for larger version

Name:	kill_switch_install__'98_tdi_Beetle.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	11366   Click image for larger version

Name:	kill_switch_install_'98_tdi_Beetle.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	11367  

Last edited by ecomodded; 08-24-2012 at 01:12 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ecomodded For This Useful Post:
NachtRitter (08-24-2012)