View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
what he said, and to elaborate, engine controllers will read the crank sensor for timing up to around 2500rpm then switch to the cam sensor above that, because it runs at half the engine speed.
This shouldn't be a problem for us hypermilers since we hardly ever rev that high, plus the engine will get killed after returning to idle at the soonest, to allow the turbo to cool off somewhat.

Ecomodded, someone here once remarked that kill switches should be of the momentary type, since it is possible to push and forget, especially if something suddenly grabs your attention. I believe there was something about a situation when he needed to bump start fast, but forgot to flip the switch and the engine wouldn't start. Lots of panic but no serious consequences, thankfully.
Just something to keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
The idle consumption is more then i anticipated, .8 or .9 of a gallon a hour is large. I should be seeing a hefty mpg gain. With a modest 10% mpg improvement it would mean 6 mpg with my car.
That is high. My 1.6 turbodiesel consumes ~0.52 liters per hour (~0.14 GPH) when warmed up. Even with A/C on it's between 0.8-1.1 LPH (0.21-0.29 GPH).

BTW, is your PS pump electric, or is it run off of the engine?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 08-24-2012 at 03:35 PM..