View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultimate Fail
Cd's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 3,346
Thanks: 2,711
Thanked 949 Times in 562 Posts
CV boots-need mechanical advice please

I'm not sure what these things are called, but from what I understand they are CV joint related.
Can someone in the know explain what these rubber boots are and what they do ?
Do they just seal in the grease, or do they perform some other vital function ?

If they do indeed just seal in the grease, can I just clamp them down using a hose clamp, or must I get them replaced ?

What could happen if I continue driving the car with these things split like this ? Will I lose control of the car and crash, or have my wheels fall off ?

I'd like to just be able to clamp them back into place and forget about them, but I'd rather be safe than cheap.

Thanks for any advice !

(This is on a '93 Civic by the way.)

  Reply With Quote