View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #67 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christofoo View Post
That's what I've been thinking too. Similar to the way my bike rack mounts on the trunk.

Trunk access still bothers me though. My lady doesn't want something she has to take off. If there's a practical way to make it two pieces with a hinge, I haven't worked it out yet.

As far as paint protection goes, I picture attaching weather stripping to the Kamm where it faces the car, hopefully that won't leave a mark.

I also am gravitating toward a louvered Kamm; a) doesn't require tranparent material, therefore can't fog up, b) I expect a louvered window to never get frosted overnight, less scaping for me, c) reduced solar heat gain, lower parking temperature and more comfortable back seat.
Hey, don't mean to be a pill, but, I figure it doesn't matter how "Soft" the thing on the paint is, bits of sand and dust will get between the gasket and finish on the car and mess it up. I thought to use a clear tape mounted to the paint itself too, but that has its own built in problems.

I have a theory, and it's only really held by me, that the air moving back into place as it rolls down the back of your car, has energy to return to the car. People freak out when I say that, had a thread on the theory here:

Up & Down Theory on Aero Optimization

Anyway, when looking at louvers through the lens of this idea, it is less then optimum. As always, I have to say that filling the wake will always yield a better result than nothing. But at the end of the day, we want the air to return it's potential energy to the car and in my mind, the air cascading down the louvers does not have the angled surface to push against.

So the louvered Kamm will help by eliminating the potential for large vortices to form at the back of the car, but it does not allow the air to push on the car.