View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
blackjackel -

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackel View Post
why wouldn't you go below spec on the drive tires? just so you wouldn't screw with the odometer?

Also, don't you think the reduction in wheel contact with the road coupled with the decreased rolling resistence of the B381's would well outdo the loss in mileage due to increased rpms? I would only have to do 27 more revolutions per mile....
You know, I thought about it and I don't have a good answer. I think I am biased in favor of "taller gearing" wherever possible. You are coming from the LRR + better Aerodynamics POV. I do know that some Lexus models have a suspension "auto-lowering" feature at highway speed, so you are emulating that.

For LRR, I think we should ask CapriRacer a question. I want to see a before(current tires)/after(proposed tires) of what the tread looks like. We can get "pristine pictures" of the tire tread on TireRack. I will post on CapriRacer's tire thread later tonight for details of what I mean.

Quote:
And lastly, since you're in my area (I'm in west L.A.) would you like to get together to work on modifying our cars for better aerodynamics... I really don't know anyone who's willing to work with me on this. I realize it's an odd suggestion and I understand if you're weary about meeting a stranger from online
Sending you a PM ...

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society