View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
With my fridge , 7 year old GE ,all i can do is add insulation, I am in the process of insulating it, with the insulation in the inside and some on the outside.
You mean like this?

Two more suggestions for refrigerator efficiency:
  1. Heat transfer through the walls (heat gain) is a function of temperature difference, so you can raise the inside temp slightly (sometimes fridges are set way too low) and/or lower the ambient temp. I'm not suggesting having your house's A/C works its pants off, but keeping the kitchen slightly cooler (leave a window slightly open at night with the doors closed), or moving the fridge to a cooler area. Like farther away from the stove/range, dishwasher, sunny window, or other heat sources. I once saw a refrigerator placed so that the heating system's vent was blowing hot air at it all winter, and the sun was shining on it for 1-3 hours daily, year round
  2. Put a small fan under the rear coils, blowing upward whenever the compressor is on. This improves the heat exchange efficiency of the radiator, and helps the warm air leave the rear wall faster.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread