View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
brok3n
EcoModding Lurker

Accord - '07 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 29.46 mpg (US)

ZX6R - '03 Kawasaki ZX6R
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brok3n
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It's a bit unrealistic if you're not also willing to slow down some. (That's where the single biggest saving is to be found).

Based on 30-36.7 starting point, you're looking for 8-15 mpg, or ~10-50% better fuel economy.

The mods you suggest might be good for a ~5-7% improvement (guesstimate).

Why only "maybe" a partial grille block? Grille openings are sized for a worst-case, high load cooling scenario: full load, towing, with the A/C on. How often do you do that? Progressively block, starting with the upper opening, and monitor coolant temperature.
I guess I'll have to evaluate what my car needs exactly for cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
you do need to slow down.
And you need a gauge of some kind (scangauge available here)
once you can instantly track......you will realize the addvantages. Tanks to tanke is a very passive appraoch to improving mpg.

bump up the air in tires is a must(read other threads)
Once you have 'instant abulity'
, do a 10 mile run up & back at 60, 06, 70, 75.
Also, if you can do any coasting/engine on, this will help. (I do not coast to below 50mph) Usually only going down a hill.
The you will have you own proof that slowing down is woth it.
The kicker is that with backpacking trips, reaching the trail head at a certain time is usually imperative. Obviously I could leave earlier but on very long trips it increases the gap substantially. Our next trip planned is 451 miles away, the gap in 10mph (60mph vs 70mph) is an hour of drive time. Quite frankly, I hate driving to begin with... 65 mph would probably be doable as it makes the gap 1/2 an hour and might negate a fuel stop which would eat half of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scivicblu83 View Post
what rpm's is your engine turning at 70 mph?
I think around 2200-2400 rpm's, but definitely not over 2500.