View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
As you say, you have to be a bit sneakier across the pond.
My suggestion, on the 318 anyway, would be to block your upper grill from behind with black ABS plastic, coroplast( or the Scottish equivalent). I started with a rear mounted block and no one noticed that I didn't tell, and did get quite a difference( sorry, I don't have exact numbers as I was making changes quickly both to my driving and car. Also you might want to put on a front belly pan to close up that great hole under your radiator. Make it easily removable for the MOT. The Estate would probably benefit even more from these mods.
Thanks for the input! My girlfriend reckons your car is crazy (and not exactly asthetically pleasing!) but she can definately see the benefits of the mods you have undertake- so much so, that I'm able to start doing some to my cars.

You are giving good advice re the upper grill block- I'll need to be inventive with ways to block-thinking possibly clear plastic or coroplast..

yeah, the lack of undertrays from both cars (and every bmy up until the e39/46 (circa 1996/8) is only mildly alarming..

fabricating one could be plenty fun though

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------