View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Big Dave
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
We’ve talked about the MPG possibilities of Crown Vics on this site in the past.

If you are getting 28+ MPG on your Crown Vic you are the boss Crown Vic MPG guy.

I think that with the mods you are proposing (including the lightweight engine) 30 MPG in mixed driving should be do-able. Add in the T-56 and 32-33 should be in order.

One guy wondered if you could get 40 out of a Crown Vic. My take is no – unless you go to a diesel engine. The diesel gives you 25-50% better efficiency although it weighs quite bit more.

Here is a youtube on a guy who put a Cummins 4BT3.9 into a Crown Vic. He claims 33 MPG mixed and 40 MPG highway using the stock automatic.

I haven’t been able to find any more on this car, but it looks like a good job. Sure hope he put lots of sound deadener in it. The Cummins is noisy.

Other options might be a M-B 617. Super reliable but underpowered and mating the engine to an American drive train requires you know a thing or two about DIN bellhousings. I don’t.

Another possibility is a VW TDI turned way up, but you are back to the weird DIN transmission connection.

I don’t think a GM 6.2 can be stuffed into a Ford engine compartment. A 6.2 or 6.5 will barely fit in a GM “B” body but forget the turbo.

The 4.5 Powerstroke (from a Ford LCF truck) might fit and it is just a 6.0 Powerstroke with two cylinders missing but it is a bear to find and a worse bear to source parts for.

Oriental fork truck and generator diesels do not have injection systems set up for road vehicles.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Dave For This Useful Post:
slowmover (09-01-2012)