View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #118 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't believe the $5 billion a week has to stay US$... It can be converted to whatever currency desired in order to do things like build the tallest building in the world (Burj Khalifa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), or build schools that teach extremist views or purchase (or make) weapons that are used to kill soldiers and aid workers. Would it matter to the aid worker if the weapon that killed him (or her) was purchased in the US with US$? Probably not. Once the $5 billion a week is out of the US, it is a bit more difficult to get it back in the US to do usable work than if it never left here to begin with.
This is called the price of freedom. We get oil for the money and make money with it. We could choose to buy our oil elsewhere I suppose, but don't. If you want to focus on the negative issues "extemist views" "Guns to kill" & such, that is your freedom.

I choose to be grateful for the fact that I can participate in a global market place that provides me with things I want at I price I consider fair. It makes no sense to me to worry about if someone is going to use the money in a negative way, particularly when 99.999999% of it isn't. You make it sound like every penny that leaves the US goes into a "Kill All Americans Jihad Fund", which is fine if that's what you want to believe.

I choose not to concern myself with the potential negative consequences because that has no end. You could just as well buy your gas from a gas station that employs an American guy who off and decides to pull a James Holmes. How is that different than the US giving Arabs money for oil? You supported a 7-Eleven that had a guy working nights who goes nuts and kills a bunch of people. People are gonna do what they're gonna do. Freedom.