View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
SpeedyCorky
also races Sportbikes!!!

Mo' Mon-nay! - '00 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 52.26 mpg (US)

Carbon Silver - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.2 mpg (US)
Arrow New HyperMiler with 2000 Honda Civic HX !

Hey folks!

Well, after driving sports cars for years, I got sick of working on them and throwing so much money into them - when really I spent most of my time just droning on the freeway to work and back buring up my expensive sticky tyres ... So I sold the sports car and bought a 2000 Civic HX with 120k on the clock!

After a complete tune up, lots of carpet cleaning and some fixes here and there - she is runnin' like a top! I plan to do a lot of aerodynamic mods to the car, i've already removed the passenger sideview mirror and replaced it with a cover; and i've removed the drivers sideview mirror and replace it with a much smaller and lightweight racing-type mirror. I just scored some super lightweight (9.7lbs each) rims from an older Honda VX. Also gutted all of the car's interior, everything from behind the front seats was taken out; should save me some weight and help my MPG.

I look forward to modifying my front bumper and making an underbody cover, as to further reduce wind drag - as well as some rear wheel covers and getting rid of the exterior radio antenna... my goal is to average 60 MPG.... ya guys think that might be obtainable !?

In the meantime, i'll be driving like and i'll keep you all updated on my MPG once I go thru my first full tank!

I started by doing a full, and I mean FULL tune up. from all fluids, spark plugs, all belts, both new O2 sensors installed recently; even bleed the power steering fluid, and cleaned the EGR port.

Spend an hour or two cleaning the engine bay.... bleed the brake fluid, clutch fluid... blah blah etc

Then I cleaned the interior, man it was dirty from the previous owner, but WOW did it clean up nice thanx to my fiancee, a wet vac, and the better part of one day! Installed a short shifter and Razo shift knob.

Mileage looking pretty good already, at more than 3/4 tank remaining, and already 130miles on the clock!

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 09-03-2012 at 09:19 PM..