View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsearching View Post
Where did you get those aero figures? I didn't realize the Caprice was actually that good, not many cars improve much upon 0.33. I'm assuming the 80's El Camino are boxy enough to be 0.4x something... but remember both S10 and el camino could get an aero treatment and possibly not be too much worse.

Actually instead of a receiver hitch only boat tail what i'd like is to have a trailer that merges aerodynamics with the car somehow so it's always aero.

I think i'm liking the idea of hauling up to 6 people better than pickup only options and don't necessarily want an SUV.

I discovered a 93 Cadillac Fleetwood with a special tow package was rated 7000lbs from the factory. Chassis basically the same as the Caprice, wondering if cross swapping parts would uprate the Caprice, the differences are mostly documented and non-exclusive. (ie - the cop suspension, bigger radiator, uprated trans, axle ratio, more power)

And yes GRU i'd like to swap a diesel in there. Getting mixed responses to my discussion of that in other threads though, everyone saying "just get a pickup" basically. :P
The Cds for the vehicles were published in magazines from manufacturers data.
With respect to your trailer idea,you might want to look at the full-boat-tail trailer thread.I'm not done with this project and I have only 6,000 miles of data so far,but my truck registered it's highest mpg ever while pulling this trailer.Which will keep my interest up enough to finish it.