View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
LaPointe was an old dude in Minnesota who was way ahead of his time and the oil hungary war machine...he suffered for it...but got good mpg.

I wouldn't run without a filter of some kind...you can find a generic cone type filter for $25-30 at most parts stores.

I'd stay with what you have...you have no engine light on and are seeing good mpg....engine runs good with no power decrease?

Try to post a diagram of the AFM in your car? You don't say what year it is. My Focus has a venturi right at the front of the AFM...right before the MAF sensor wires....venturis speed up the air flow.

If your AFM has no venturi...it's possible that the plate is speeding the flow?

Shows a pic of your AFM?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-KIA...0d0cba&vxp=mtr

Looks like it has a venturi....tapers down inside?

Main thing is: if it works to increase mpg...it works. As to why.......

You should try to ignore the edjucated idjuts on here...I generally do.... They know just enough to put things down...but not enough to put some effort where their mouth is and TEST STUFF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerModder View Post
E85 engine light cleared at the pumps. No lapointe? if that is an engine reference I know in 30 years of autojeering not since EFI or cross point have I heard a foul word taking garbage seriously I ran it without the filter... I could put window screen in man. Run it 200,000 miles the roads are all paved here OK. So you can put your K&N filters in you all have. I might put my generic on in for extra protection. I forgot to mention I don't gamble really until I don't have the problem or I run out of butts.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Last edited by suspectnumber961; 09-05-2012 at 11:28 AM..