View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #103 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

I think the boattail trailer is worth considering, since you have a toad anyway. This boat tail will be much longer and more efficient. Also is the benefit of not sandblasting your toad or putting lots of miles on the suspension.

Tight turns dictate that there be a fairly substantial gap between RV and trailer, but, I was wondering about the idea of a telescoping trailer tongue that could pull the trailer in tight above 40 mph where aero matters and large steering inputs mean you have bigger things to worry about than mpg as you are fixing to flip your shiny high $$$$ rig onto its side.

Another thing to consider is that some day you might want to sell that beast and the next owner might not be thrilled with all the holes you put in his rig.

This boat tail ought to be a simple build. It would be shaped more or less like a doorstop. Compound curves are nice and all, but, a PITA to build. The doorstop's door would swing up like a hatchback. I guess you could have the ramp swing up to meet the hatch. I willsee if I can throw together a pic when I have a chance.