View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Mauricio, don't fall into the trap of thinking "attached" flow is the goal, VG's and little spoilers may help "attach" flow, but if they create lift (=drag) or vortices (=drag) then it means nothing. You want to build something that sticks with the template to get a good benefit. IMO nothing you put on that trunk lid is going to gain you much. Part of the reason is the Back of Roof to Top of Rear Glass region (TORGR) on your car has a very good radius for drag reduction already. I wish I could find the paper where I saw the details on that, but it turns out if you have a healthy radius there, it is a pretty good drag reduction shape. The Renault has a fairly awful TORGR radius, and I'd bet real money that whether that spoiler thing on the trunk was there or not, the difference would be almost undetectable. The Holden is a box of kleenex compared to your apple shaped car. I know you maybe think a Kamm is ass ugly, but (butt?) I think it is the only thing you can do which will actually gain you a significant difference in aero drag reduction.