View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pandaf
Ecomoddically recovering

Pandamera - '06 Fiat Panda LPG
90 day: 39.21 mpg (US)
decent thing to do....

Hi all,

Just thought it would be the decent thing to do to introduce myself after “borrowing” so much information from all you here for the better part of a year now…I must say this site is an inspiration and my compliments to all of you taking the plunge and to either save money or the planet or both…

Now let’s talk cars again: mine is a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.1 4-cil engine. It has the smallest engine of the range: it has 54 modest horses pushing it forward. It has an LPG injection system (non-OEM), and weighs about 840 kg including the extra 30 litre LPG tank which takes the place of the spare wheel, no more room for that so that is left out. It was made in Fiat’s plant in Poland which I understood is their best production plant (I hear some Polish forum members applauding now
I like the overall simplicity of the car: no power steering, no AC, no electric windows, 8 valves SOHC engine. It means I can do most of the maintenance myself. Other reasons for this choice of car about 18 months ago were its good reputation for reliability, its robustness, the LPG system and finally….it’s a Fiat!

Mods so far:
- change driving style
- Scangauge
- front air dam
- grill block
- tire pressure up to 3 bar
- front smoothening with black tape and plastic (not so happy with the looks, may change that later)
- CC added
- 1140 W block heater (by heating and pumping the liquid through the engine)
- partial bottom cover (in the back part)
- WAI
- solar charger to keep battery topped up. I removed it later as it was making the computer think something was wrong with the voltage and it blocked the electronic chip of the starter key. I heard it is not uncommon for this type of Fiat to be sensitive for voltage changes and subsequently block the starter. Will try this again in winter.
- aerodynamic type wipers (old ones needed replacement anyway)
- spoilers to remove airflow from wipers

Items removed:
- right mirror (replaced by double convex inside mirror)
- back wiper (including motor)
- baggage cover
- roof rack
- antenna
- floor mats in the back
- spare wheel as LPG tank took its place

Planned future mods:
- Wolverine oil pan heater (already ordered)
- more aerodynamic wheel covers

I made an album and posted a few pictures there, I intend to post more in the future.

Album: Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com - Pandaf's Album: Fiat Panda 1.1 LPG - 54 hp - 2006

Thanks for reading.

Regards
CW