View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Synchronicity
EcoModding Lurker

TGV - '11 Renault Traffic L2H1 2900 long wheelbase cargo van
Lightbulb how best to utilise eco 100w power supply / to improve fuel economy?

I'm a little tipsy here so forgive the mistakes-

I'm planning on installing several sunslick brand flexible solar panels on the roof of my van. The van is quite long, i have invested in the panels already which were on sale. Total capacity is 27 + 27 + 14 + 14 watts = 82 watts total i think (continuous power peak sunlight).

This will apparantly do the following:

1) Allow me to power a laptop, recharge mobiles, AA batteries, perhaps an in car amplifier.

2) reduce heat throughput to the cabin & cargo space (that's a cool side effect of installing solar panels on any roof, they essentially absorb heat)

3) As most of these things won't be used full time, i'll have the capability to charge a car battery. Store power for later and all that. i already have a charge controller + inverter.

Basically my question is this: can this auxillary (and free) source of power in any way be used to aid fuel economy? i don't mean with .one of those hoax engine mods, but possibly with an aero mod - something like wheel spats which can be deployed from inside the car for high speed driving. or a rear high pressure air spay at the rear to help airflow. i thought you folks might know best...