View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
regor
Here, there, everywhere

regor's civic - '08 honda civic lx
90 day: 39.95 mpg (US)
Suggestions on how I can improve my MPG on my commute??

Here is pretty much my route (Of course, I’m not going to post my exact house or work address)-
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/92064/4...park+rd+92036/

Can’t get more out of my trunk. I have to keep my fire fighting clothing and boots there. I keep the tires at 36psi.

I drive a 08 Honda Civic Automatic. I have a scangauge installed. I do a good job in anticipating traffic lights and I don’t speed up when someone is riding my butt. I start (home) at about 500’ and end at work at just above 4000’. I know where the hills and curves are so if I’m heading downhill, I’ll know where to let up on the accelerator so I won’t need any braking while hitting this stretch of downhill. For uphill, I try to gain enough speed to make it up part of the way without having to hit the accelerator , however, I’ve been finding lately very slow moving semis and cement trucks, so I pretty much now just figure accordingly to not hit the hills so fast. For my last downhill stretch prior to work, I shift the civic into neutral and when I get almost to the stop sign (I’m going around 4mpg, I shift back into drive.
That is pretty much it-

I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

BTW, I've been averaging very high 30s and very low 40s on the commute.

And a 1907 Baldwin Steam Locomotive (Really)