View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #54 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
Make sure to use a scangauge/ Ultragauge to see if neutral or drive is better. I'm only saying this because on some gm cars the transmission shifts into neutral by itself although it keeps the rpms up and slowly decreases with speed, but according to the gauge I'm getting the the same instant mileage no matter what gear I'm in. Along with the actual can neutral damage your transmission just look it up in your owners manual how it should be towed, I know with jeeps for certain that the auto trannys need to be towed on a flatbed or they will burn up so neutral would hurt
Agree so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheria View Post
I need to Google what a scanguage or ultragauge is. :-) Well, my car is not supposed to be flat towed BUT the reason for that is having the engine turned off means no transmission fluid is being sent through the tranny. I coast with my car turned on. Although I seem to get the same 99.9 mpg if I'm neutral and coasting or in drive and coasting, the issue is that when I'm in drive, the car is "held back" by the gear it's in and coasts MUCH less distance.
I don't know about this situation, but like Gealli brought up, some cars are NOT more efficient in neutral. My wifes Escape in neutral picks up the rpms, while in drive it will be lower. True, there is drag from the transmission if the speed is greater than the engine speed by tranny, but if you are using MORE fuel to coast than less, it may not be worth while. The easist way is as suggested. That is what made me stop using neutral in her truck, is the increase in fuel usage while coasting.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.