View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
slownugly
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
im a mechanic and logic would tell me that restricting air flow to the maf would be on the same page as driving with a retstricted air filter. which may eventually cause a fault code for lean or rich. to cause those codes you need fuel trims to be way out of the norm (normal being + or - 10%) if the computer is seeing +25 fuel trim its reading lean and will dump all kinds of fuel (increase injector pulse width) to compensate. Basically pissing in the wind. ive seen so many vehicles come in with cone style aftermarket filters on with p0171/p0174 codes. that computer and maf are tuned to the factory intake parts. one change in air flow in the induction system and that will throw the maf off. this doesnt apply to every car because they are all tuned differently.

now with my 93 civic lx there is such an aftermarket popularity that i could take my computer to a guy who does chipping and mapping and tell him to drop my afr down to 18:1 in my cruise rpm on the highway at whatever map reading i want. and just adjust my timing so its safe with the same program. Not only that but do it for a relatively low cost. with newer vehicles its going to be different/more expensive