View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Air-Hybrid
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback; more please!
It's true, as Niky kindly points out, the research so far seems to have focused on electrical power (and CHP is also being looked at, I've heard). It was a bit remiss of me to stick this link up on a (mainly) car-focus site without explanation(!). And even then, it's still fair to be concerned about the acrolein emissions as well UFO!

Additionally, though they are supposedly also looking into Marine applications - Which is partially where my interest comes in, as I'm part of a group that's been looking to reinvigorate the commercial uses of London's great river!
In fact, it is something that I thought had marine potential (more than any other transport) straight away, as the operation of boat engines have a number of advantages for this tech (if it works!), as I see it.
First, I think I'm right in concluding that, as any engine design that requires serious amounts of charge preheating is going to require a pretty effective cooling system, water is our friend.
Second, the variation in load on a marine diesel is somewhat limited compared to, say, the average car engine in it's cycle. So this means that combustion control has the capacity to do a much better job of limiting toxic emissions.