View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
SuperTrooper
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regor View Post
Here is pretty much my route (Of course, I’m not going to post my exact house or work address)-
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/92064/4...park+rd+92036/

Can’t get more out of my trunk. I have to keep my fire fighting clothing and boots there. I keep the tires at 36psi.

I drive a 08 Honda Civic Automatic. I have a scangauge installed. I do a good job in anticipating traffic lights and I don’t speed up when someone is riding my butt. I start (home) at about 500’ and end at work at just above 4000’. I know where the hills and curves are so if I’m heading downhill, I’ll know where to let up on the accelerator so I won’t need any braking while hitting this stretch of downhill. For uphill, I try to gain enough speed to make it up part of the way without having to hit the accelerator , however, I’ve been finding lately very slow moving semis and cement trucks, so I pretty much now just figure accordingly to not hit the hills so fast. For my last downhill stretch prior to work, I shift the civic into neutral and when I get almost to the stop sign (I’m going around 4mpg, I shift back into drive.
That is pretty much it-

I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

BTW, I've been averaging very high 30s and very low 40s on the commute.
Not too shabby! 3500' is a big elevation change and it takes energy to make it happen. You've already made the biggest adjustment to the nut behind the wheel. Without alternate routes available you have to start working on the car. Try inflating your tires to max recommended on the sidewall. Then you can move on to the simpler aero mods like a grill block.

Keep up the good work!