View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
TheDon
EcoModding Apprentice

Pepper - '87 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 30.42 mpg (US)
thinking about buying a bicycle

I had a thought. I live 6.4 miles from work and its 12.8 miles round trip.

but, part of it is on a somewhat of a highway. the part from US-27 to where the Deer creek area is located is 65 mph with stupid people driving. Then it goes down to 45 mph until the entrace onto I-4 west. Then its uphill to 55 mph then another mile and its back to 65 but that is right before a right. Then its all down hill at 50-55 mph by car.

I worked out the costs at $4.80 a gallon of diesel. I work 5-6 days a week, 84 miles total, which is 3.36 gallons of diesel at my combined FE of 25 mpg which is $16.13 a week saved by biking. After 52 weeks of biking I would save $838.76.

I could bike to work, but I don't have a bike, I would have to go out and buy a good road bike. Cannondale comes to mind but they are big money.

Another benefit of being carbon free, I would be working out.. again. I used to run 3 miles every morning but then college happened.

One more thing, Tuesday I am going for a job interview for a position as a Photopass photographer at a Disney World water park, which is located 12 miles away, 24 miles round trip. The pay is more than what i make now, as well as other cool non life related benefits. Sure they have health, stock options, 401k, but in adition to that you also get free park admitance, lower rates for water parks and cruises, great work experience, fun on the job, other perks like a credit union and like minded people.

If I don't get the job I'll mos def consider a bicycle.

I have about $500 I am willing to spend on a good road bike. I can also store it inside my place of employment at the grocery store, I wish I could bring my car inside but it won't fit in the back.

Last edited by TheDon; 06-10-2008 at 04:44 PM..