View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
You don't have to spend super big money to get a decent road bike. My Trek 1000 cost me about $800 brand new and I have since put about another $500 into it over the last 2 years. That is about as cheap as you can get for a new road bike. The other option is to buy used. There are literally hundreds of ads on both craigslist and ebay selling road bikes and usually they are going for $500 or less.

But, as for a commuter bike, make sure you find something that fits your body size. I don't know how much you know about bikes, but they come like pants and have different sizes for different people. Even if you don't buy from them, go to a reputable bicycle dealer and have them size you up on a frame so you know what you're looking for (I'm 6'1" and I ride a 58cm frame just for reference sake). You can also find great resources online about buying the proper size and fitting yourself to it for optimal power output and comfort.

The next thing to think about is your where you're riding. Since you're going to be doing all road riding it sounds like, a strictly road bike would probably best suit you. The other thing to consider would be a "hybrid" or "commuter" style bike rather then a "racing" style bike. They are more comfortable for long distances (I wouldn't really consider your ride a "long distance") but you will sacrifice speed for comfort. Finding a balance is key for a commuter bike.

As for your route: check on maps.google.com and check the "avoid highways" box to see if there is a route that would take you on slower roads then that...I never ride on anything with a limit over 45mph, unless it has a HUGE shoulder like this one 55mph in my area does that allows me to stay well clear of traffic.