View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
TedV
EcoModding Lurker

I use a Pro-oiler on my F650 Dakar. It works pretty good once you get all the settings worked out, almost too many options. You can adjust the amount of lube being pumped while you ride if you placve the control in a handy place. It has a list of pro/con on various lubes. I settled on ATF since I have many many quarts of it laying around from a previous job, folks have reported good life using it, it cleans up easy with soap n water, I have an o-ring chain that reportedly a thiner weight oil like ATF is good with.. I also have gear lube handy but I hate the smell of the stuff. There are mixed arguments about using used oil since used has grim in it and the cleaning agents are used up. Course, road grim is catching on the chain while you ride and it's not exactly "clean".

Any lube is better than no lube. ;-)

I purchased a system since I didn't have the free time to come up with a DIY system. I check the reservoir, keep an eye on the chain, add a few clicks if it looks dry or if I ride in the rain or take away if it looks too wet and ride. Almost a ride and forget it chain maintenance.