View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
ac6404
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Then, you'd need an engine that is efficient at pushing around a small vehicle, not a huge heap of Jeep which your 3L diesel is not very likely to do, especially with 4wd. I'm not saying its not doable, but you aren't even going to be able to recognize the vehicle once it is done, and your city mpg will still be disappointing because it'll still be a heavy Jeep.
Jeep Cherokee's are relatively light. 3300 pounds, about the same as a Prius, or 10% more than a modern honda civic.

I've read about a lot of Cherokee Om617 diesel swaps that are getting 30-35 highway mpg with NO aero modifications. This makes me think that 50 hwy mpg is a not-to-distant reality. The om617 also comes from a car that weighs considerably more, and has similar hp & greater torque than the stock I-6 jeep motor.

Cherokee's are not heavy. They have an engine that is not designed with fuel economy in mind, 4wd, and the aerodynamics of a brick.

With a boat tail (mounted further up on the body thanks to chopped top) and a full belly pan (to cover the mess of parts underneath) I think there are some serious improvements to be made.

City mpg will see huge improvement due to the diesel, but that combined with serious aero mods I think will skyrocket highway mpg from its original 22.

I guess we'll see.

chopped onions.