View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Only time I've slowed my car down to 15mph going up a hill I was drawing over 400 amps and pulled over and made it crawl up the rest of the way because I have a slow blow 350amp fuse that I didn't feel like changing, but I often see 500-600 amps from my 650amp speed controller if I floor it, when I had contactors I'd see much higher because they are more like dropping the clutch with the engine rev'd on a gas car.

The 6v golf cart batteries are rated at 200 or 225amp hours at a 20 hour discharge rate, but 185amp hours at a 5 hour discharge rate and much lower capacity at a 1 hour rate... a lot of people guess that you have about 100 to 120 amp hours in them at that one hour rate but they don't have a labeled rating or that high of a discharge that I've seen, maybe someone has a chart? also you don't want to use up 100% of those amp hours on lead acid, unless you like buying new batteries, so your full range is often using 80% of the batteries capacity, I don't like to use much more then 50% so I can keep my batteries happy, lithium is different, lithium is ok discharging 80% and discharging it fast, some people say you can get by with a quarter of the rated capacity with Lithium batteries but I would rather play is safe and go for half.