View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #75 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
I doubt it has anything to do with market economics or law.
Its simply human nature - the one thing which always overrules profit.

Change is slow.
20 years ago most semi-trucks had flat roofs. Now very few don't have a sloped shell to protect the top leading edge of the trailer from the wind. 5 years ago there was no such thing as semi-trailer side skirts, now it seems to be about 1 in 5 of them have them, and increasing rapidly with time.

People do things a certain way just because its how it has always been done.
There is no logical reason we don't use the metric system, but people - and especially Americans - fear change.

Until at least one person does something new, it doesn't even occur to most people that there could be another way.
When the first person does something different, its too weird to emulate.
Eventually a second and third person does it too, and then suddenly its a brilliant idea that everyone wants to jump on.

20 years from now every truck will look like the AirFlow BulletTruck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to JacobAziza For This Useful Post:
mcrews (09-11-2012)