View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #58 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

[QUOTE=freebeard;327395]If I understand you correctly, it would require a ring of electromagnets attached to the frame as big as the wheel.

If you want to get into it with low cost, Google Fisher-Paykel washing machine motor. They come in other machines, too; like Delco.[/QUOTE

I'm just saying do what MTSU did with their magnets, but put them on the inner surface of the wheel instead of on the drum. Bigger radius = proportionately more torque per squirt of electric juice through the electromagnets, which also must be located further from the axis of rotation to mate with the permanent magnets on the wheel.

Suppose the magnets exert X lbs. of torque if 8" from the centerline. Move the magnets out to 12" from centerline by putting them on the wheel itself, and now you increased torque by 50%, with no weight gain. Since torque is what turns the wheel and since motors have max torque at 0 rpm, this is a huge gain for just moving the magnets outward, all else being equal. On braking, you also get more bang per buck with no weight for gain.

Actually, you might do all this while reducing overall weight, since now the braking is largely done by the regen mode of the motor, which is a generator when driven. So, regen mode takes braking load, so brakes do not need to be as big or heavy = less unsprung wheel weight = better handling and energy economy. Win, win, win.

Does this make sense to others, or am I off base here?

Also, thanks for the Fisher-Paykel thing, which I will bone up on asap.