View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
skyl4rk
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Look for a Lifan replacement motor, they are copies of the Honda and should bolt right in. Less expensive than a Honda, I'm not even sure you can get Honda replacment motors anymore. I know of one person using one as a commuter, haven't heard any complaints yet. The Lifan comes together with the transmission. Although I am sure the original Honda motors are much better.

I would probably up it to 90cc or so. I have driven a 70cc Passport for many miles, you will have no problems with a 70cc but a little more power might be nice. 70cc will get you 45mph.

If you decide not to do it, let me know, I might be interested in the frame. The Honda 70 s are the ultimate low cost, high mileage transportation design. We never even tried to get good mileage, us kids used to drive it hard, but it just runs forever on a tank. Just for fun, my dad used to stop along the road and pick up pop cans for the deposit money, he could easily fill up the tank for his commute on the 70 just from the cans he found along the road. It was a game to see if he could commute for free.

++++

We had windshields on ours, they were nice to have, the wind is a little tedious at 45mph. They keep the rain off too.