View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #229 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Just thought I'd post up to say that my LCD died...

I'll look into the situation tomorrow, luckily I just recived a new freeduino and LCD (to make a second MPGuino) in the mail, so I have another LCD to mess with.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting the LCD? I think it's just the LCD because the 'duino's LED's blink normally when powered up, but the display is blank with the backlight off.
Can you jumper power to the led and see if it still lights up? It could be a common ground, or common power thing, any points in your system that would be a common point of failure for the LCD and backlight? Have you looked at it from all angles in case the contrast got wonked somehow?

Also, are you disconnecting the power or hitting the reset button? The LCD doesn't currently like the reset button and prefers to initialize from a power up (especially annoying in development mode).

Last thing I can think of: have you tried reprogramming the guino? Sometimes the atmel chips gets confused during a brownout and needs to be reprogrammed, occasionally they even need a new bootloader (PITA) so be real deliberate with the power hookup.

If not, see if the new chip works in the old guino. If it does and the old chip doesn't then you can send the old chip to me and I'll see if I can do an autopsy on it and find the cause of death.

Let me know what you find out.