View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
bitmap
EcoModding Lurker

08 Octavia - '08 Skoda Octavia
90 day: 59.47 mpg (US)
Okay, so I did some camshaft adjustment of my own
I have a Skoda Octavia (czech VW Golf) with BKD (2.0l 16V TDI PD) engine.
It has done about 100,000kms timing belt, injectors etc., everything is original.
Before camshaft adjustment my MFD indicated idle consumption 0.7l/h and there was no way I did a tank under 4.4l/100km.
I rotated both intake and exhaust camshaft slightly anti clokwise and wow, what a difference

MFD now indicates 0.5l/h at idle, engine is much stronger from just above idle up until 2000 rpm and turbo spools up good 300 rpm earlier than before.
Car is now much more pleasant to drive and fuel consumption improvement is just unbelievable.

Just after this adjustment I brimmed the tank and MFD indicated 1490kms range. I thought that I somehow screwed up MFD's calibration, but after I did about 250kms run of quite non-eco driving friendly route with lot of hills, trucks and villages and brimmed the tank again, it took 10.6 litres, so it turnes out It used 4.23l per 100km. MFD indicated 4.1l/100km and there is no way I would make this trip under 4.6l before this adjustment. I hope that car's ECU didn't start "imagining" kilometers and this improvement is real, I'll keep you posted.

Sorry for the rant but I had to share this with someone