View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #70 (permalink)
jime57
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrenk View Post
I knew some people would be upset when I suggested that flat underbodies don't really work that well (if at all), but considering people were killed and exiled for figuring out the world was round, I think I can take some unwarranted hate myself. =P
I'd love to see the information you have on this issue. I personally believe that underbodies do help based on information and studies that I have seen posted here on this site. I also believe diffusers work, based on Hucho's text.

Quote:
As far as the hood vents, if you wanted to make them effective and not ruin the cooling intake, you could design them (point them) in a vector/line toward the sides of the car so the warm air could roll over a minimal area of the intake at the windshield.[
That might avoid the heat problem, don't know. It sounds rational. Hucho only devoted a small amount of discussion to the question and did not consider diverting the hot air to the side. It would be worth a CFD study, or some wind tunnel testing, but we are not likely to get either.

Quote:
I don't intend to anger people, just put what I know out there (teaching, sharing info... same thing or not? I don't know).

Sorry for seeming 'arrogant' or 'claiming to be smarter than everyone' or 'not taking credible sources seriously' or whatever. Hucho got a bunch of stuff right, but he isn't the only guy out there with some good knowledge on how this stuff works.
I don't think anyone ever said that Hucho was the be-all, end-all source. He is just the convenient source that many folks have at hand. He has compiled much of his data/information from the work of others and properly credits them. It isn't even his own work entirely. Get your hands on a copy of the book and check it out.

BTW, Hucho discusses your original "thoretical" flat plate transition issue in section 2.3.3.1 of the 4th edition. There are lots of "qualifications" which probably make the flat plate analysis inappropriate to the underside of an automobile. The section is long winded and difficult. I'll leave it for others to decide if it actually applies to undertrays, which don't even satisfy the most basic of the qualifications. Wind tunnel testing would be a better approach IMO and that has been done and documented here on this site.

Quote:
As I've said many times before, I'm just letting you guys know some stuff I know. Believe it or not, that's up to you, but you probably aren't going to change my mind on what I said in the first post.......snip...........
Please don't hold back on information. Please provide your personal sources, tests, documentation so we can all benefit from it

Last edited by jime57; 09-16-2012 at 09:49 AM..