View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #41 (permalink)
bazman
EcoModding Lurker

Weird Thing - '00 Holden (GM) Commodore SS Series II
90 day: 18.67 mpg (US)
Update: Well after blaming the cam for my economy loss we've finally discovered the main culprit is the injectors. The ones supplied with the turbo kit are nothing but cheap reconditioned used ones that have had their holes bored out to get the flow up. The spray pattern is not accurate enough to handle a decent lean tune.

Next upgrade is to run with some accurate injectors like the Injector Dynamics 725's or Bosch EV14 52' lb'rs - both are very precise even at low pulse widths so should make a notable difference. I'll combine this with new coil packs and leads to ensure we have good spark.

Right now I can't get better than 15.2-16:1 AFR on around 26-32 degrees timing at 100kph. With better injectors and spark I should be able to hold 17:1 and over 38 degrees timing. Also trailing throttle goes straight to 14's :1 or richer and upgrades should see this go into the early 20's AFR - that'll make a difference over a tank, esp with a bit of mild hyper-milling (coasting). I still want to make 30mpg at 100kph cruising as I do not think it has ever been done on an LS1 auto full sized sedan.

In the meantime, 550hp is still a lot of fun - yee ha