View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Specaled- I work at a dealership. From TechCONNECT:
Quote:
DESCRIPTION - 3.7/4.7L
CAUTION: Do not operate an engine without a thermostat, except for servicing or testing.

A pellet-type thermostat controls the operating temperature of the engine by controlling the amount of coolant flow to the radiator. On all engines the thermostat is closed below 195°F (90°C). Above this temperature, coolant is allowed to flow to the radiator. This provides quick engine warm up and overall temperature control (Thermostat Cross Section View 3.7L/4.7L).

The same thermostat is used for winter and summer seasons. An engine should not be operated without a thermostat, except for servicing or testing. Operating without a thermostat causes other problems. These are: longer engine warmup time, unreliable warmup performance, increased exhaust emissions and crankcase condensation. This condensation can result in sludge formation.
What's unsafe? I don't know. I get scared over 212, even though red coolant at 50/50 won't boil until 265- I don't know what temp the engine doesn't like. When I was towing the camper this summer we took a rest stop when the UG said 220. I just didn't like driving at temps that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Specaled (09-18-2012)