View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
caliboundranger
EcoModding Lurker

Power Ranger - '97 Ford Ranger 4x2
Thank you everyone for all your feedback. I have been very busy lately moving my shop to storage while my new facility is being prepared for move in. I have slowly been working on the ranger. As for the swing away hitch; yes that has been my idea all along as I will be sleeping in the truck. I have already fabricated the swing away after I got the material for the hinges. The carrier is mounted up and looking nice. Swings perfectly and clears the tailgate just fine. Need to fab the latch on the drivers side. Thinking about doing two for safety or maybe a secondary safety chain so it can't swing open going down the freeway. I need about another hour of work to finish the structure and finalize all my tack welds. I will try to get aluminum sheet this week to have ready to bend up next week. Everything will be removable. The wheel well covers will be attached with zues fastners and the foil by rivets through the cap and tape on the cab. Obviously the carrier comes out of the hitch.
Tonight. I installed my front air dam. It consisted of a 12'' tall piece of 1/2" nylon reinforced rubber sheet. This as fastened to the. Front bumper with 1/4-20 bolts. It sits. About 1.5" off the ground at ride height. I'm thinking as well, will the aerodynamic gain outweigh this new frontal area? I will add pics tomorrow.
Lastly to finish off the night; I have been thinking about side skirts to compliment the front air dam and wheel well covers. Any ideas on a material? I'm not a big fan of the coroplast many use. Plus it has to be able to bend if it hits something. I would use more rubber but don't have enough and its kind of heavy. And the flower bed edging wont work because there is like 12" of ground clearance on the sides since it is a truck.
Well thanks again. Ill add pics soon.